Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pouf Make-Over

Remember a few weeks ago when my friend Ashleigh and I went to Home Goods and I fulfilled my dreams of that week and bought a pouf? Well, I thought the fabric on it was hideous so I made a hot little slip cover for it! Don't you think it was ick? Finally putting to good use the fabrics that I've been hoarding, I sat down and sewed them together to make it beautiful and viewable by the general public.


Here is the gorgeous linen damask that I chose for the body of the pouf.

I had to measure the circumference first.

Since it's a found object, its not as easy to slip cover as something that is square. I had to create creases at strategic spots. Strategery.

The fun part was the sewing! After I pinned up the two ends, I sewed them together like a sleeping bag for the pouf. Or a straight jacket.


For the top, I chose a Vaughan embroidered linen fabric, Mino. I pinned the top on and tucked under the edges.

Then I patiently sewed on top by hand. And then...

Here is my lovely pouf!

I went with fabric pouf approach and not the somewhat ubiquitous leather pouf look. While I like that look, my precious sewing machine doesn't sew leather.


What do you think? I'm such a fabric lover that if I could, I would recover everything in my apartment. I'm loving the pouf idea too because it doesn't take up as much room as a chair and is light enough to move around the room.


Alicia B.

No comments:

Post a Comment